Interesting to still see so much about looks, and features, but none
about the sound...

Just to provoke and stir things up, here's what I'd personally do if I
were to design a networked music device along similar lines...

1. Single sample frequency support (44.1) for ripped CD replay only,
all other formats can be sample rate converted at the Server end.

2. Internal DAC, with a good clock.

3. Better filtering at the o/p, with good line driving capability,
maybe balanced as well as single ended.

4. Change the display (VFD's are very noisy and require a fair bit of
work to eliminate their ills) and use something more benign.

5. Still have the digital volume control, since the option is always
there to fix it at max, for best quality.

6. Make it sound so good you don't want to go to bed at night (which
means lots of work in lots of areas, but it's ultimately the only thing
that matters to me).

The rest is just froth, although some is a case of form from function.

Andy.

BTW, the remote supplied may be cheap and light, but it's great,
ergonomic and I can use it with my eyes closed or in the dark. Most
audiophile equipment has rubbish remote controls that are expensive and
unuseable, I'd rather see the money spent where it matters.


-- 
Andrew L. Weekes
_______________________________________________
audiophiles mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/audiophiles

Reply via email to