On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 11:55 -0800, Patrick Dixon wrote:
> Sorry Pat, I added this correction later!
> > Whoops - I meant dither. I have jitter on the brain.

I think there are treatments for that. The
modern drugs are very effective.

I am very skeptical about jitter. Folks have been
talking about it for decades, and yet it is very
hard to see that they are talking about the same
thing. Of course the audiophile magazines glow
about how this $2000 jitter fixer does wonders,
removes a veil, etc.

I also am skeptical about how my Benchmark DAC-1's
marketing copy talks about it being completely
totally and unanimously immune to jitter.

Proper dithering, combined with the natural R-C nature
of any analog circuit's filtering of ultra sonic
signals, is audible. Don't have any of the
$10,000 Meridian digital speakers to test
if it makes a difference in a minimally analog
playback system.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html