I'm sure CliveB will jump in here, but given the extremely tortuous path
that the original sound has already gone through by the time it arrives
in your house as a CD, whether or not you have  a pre-amp in the mix is
totally irrelevant. I mean - think about it for a moment - what exactly
does anyone think they are trying to preserve? What we listen to (on
any recorded media) is NOT fidelity - it's an artefact - like TV or
looking at a painting/sculpture etc - it's a work of human creative
art. The technology is unimportant.

I say this: if a pre-amp sounds best in your system then use one - if
not, then don't.

--
Phil Leigh