I'm not sure if I'm going crazy here, but I just made some changes to my
computer and network, and I swear that the sound of my system has taken
a big leap....

Previously, I was running Slimserver on a 5-year-old eMac G4
(educational version of an iMac) which was connected to my network via
a wireless connection (signal strength was about 60%).  Over the
weekend, my father gave me his <2 year old iMac G5.  Instead of using
wireless, I set it up close to my router which allowed me to connect
via Ethernet.  My music was stored on an external Firewire hard drive,
so it was easy to just move that drive to the new computer and set up
Slimserver with my whole music library.  I made sure everything was
working yesterday using my SB in my office system, but didn't really
listen very carefully.

This morning, I sat down at my reference system and started playing
some music on the Transporter.  Whoa.  I wasn't expecting it at all,
but the sound quality took a MAJOR step up...more nuance and detail,
better dynamics, better noise-floor.  I hadn't listened to the
reference system all weekend, but I spent a good couple of hours
listening to it on Friday, and the difference was very obvious.  I
don't know if I'm imagining the improvements, but if I am, I will say
that I have a pretty darn good imagination...!

So the things that changed in the system are:

- Slimserver running on a much faster computer
- Slimserver running on a computer attached via Ethernet instead of by
a wireless connection.

Does this make sense to anyone?

--
PhilNYC