pfarrell;313570 Wrote:

> OK, so I was off a bit on the high end. Did you measure the fall off
> over 25kHz? I assume it kept falling off at 6 or maybe 12 dB/octave

It was really dependent on the gap in the poles of the record head.
Smaller gap gave you more hi-freq.  It really varied from
machine-to-machine and manufacturer-to-manufacturer.  I was happy just
to get 22k out of the A800, but the roll-off was quite drastic above
that.

And the S/N of this model was 7-10dB better than most anything else on
the market, approaching 72dB in some cases (16-track/2-inch head stack)
because the first pre-amp stage was literally inches below the heads.

The studio I built back in '83 still has that machine.  I've offered to
buy it from them but they won't sell it.

--
Eric Seaberg

Eric Seaberg - San Diego - [EMAIL PROTECTED]