Themis wrote:
> I think the word length used (32bit) has to do with the more recent chip
> used, NOT the music signal itself. It's used to lower artifacts, not
> SNR.

Which specific artifacts?

> I doubt 16bit chips will still exist in a few years...

Externally 16 bits? I will bet that they sure will. There is no mass
market demand for more than 16 bit audio.

I can see in ten years, a combination DAC and DSP chip, and it will
internally use wide numbers, but only because doing any real DSP needs
extra bits to handle rounding, scaling, etc.

Once the value is calculated and properly dithered, there is no reason
for more than 16 bits of width. Well, one could argue in theory that 18
bits would be a better number, but even 24 bits is wild overkill.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/