On 02/26/2011 07:12 PM, mlsstl wrote:
> However, a trumpet played in the same room sends most of its sound
> directly forward.

This opinion is not backed by facts. The whole trumpet vibrates. Sound
is not a point source from some mythical point in the bell. Rather the
bell and tubing resonate with the notes. Its not the breath of the
player that comes rushing out of the bell. The breath vibrates the whole
trumpet in resonance with the notes.

I will agree that its next to impossible for a HiFi to replicate the
sound of a trumpet. They are very loud. My daughter was a serious
trumpet player, going to Interlochen Arts Camp, having private lessions
for 5+ years, etc. I know very well what the sound of a trumpet is in my
house.

Playing Winton Marsalis on my very nice stereo is not the same.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/