Phil Leigh;693313 Wrote: 
> the question is straightforward, but there is a hidden implication. Why
> should it matter if I connect a DAC via TOSLINK or Coax when evaluating
> an upgraded PSU?
> 
> What happened to the baby and the bath water?
> 
> for what it is worth, using my external DAC connected via any method I
> detect no difference at all with a very nice linear supply vs. the
> stock supply.
> This is backed up by ADM measurements that confirm no difference.
> So no, I don't hear or measure any difference and I keep my Teddy Pardo
> supply just to intrigue people who bother to read my signature
> carefully.
> 
> Now, have you got anything useful to sell us?

If I can Paxman you for a direct answer: do you believe it's possible
for a better PSU to improve an SB connected optically to a DAC?

No doubt you see the implication of the question, and why it relates so
directly to the less alarming conclusions reached by TAS. I've no
interest in discussing intangible claims to do with bit-rot or the
astral plane or chakra alignment of a given file format. I am
interested in real world performance and real world issues.

Here's another one: is it possible for a USB > SPDIF converter to sound
different to a direct USB connection? Or to another USB > SPDIF
converter? What about upgrading the power supply to a USB > SPDIF
converter?

Bits-are-bits 'purists' feel that that nothing could be less useful
than a device that turns noughts and ones into exactly the same noughts
and ones traveling along a different wire.

Some here evidently feel that using an optical cable out of the
transport makes everything else about that device irrelevant, or that
'analog domain' modifications like power supplies have no effect on
digital signals. 

Do you have the conceptual knowledge to see why/how these things could
- in theory - sound different?


-- 
item_audio
------------------------------------------------------------------------
item_audio's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=51315
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=93549

_______________________________________________
audiophiles mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.slimdevices.com/mailman/listinfo/audiophiles

Reply via email to