cliveb wrote:
> This isn't a universal truth. It is perfectly possible to cut a
> hypercompressed master to vinyl - you just have to back off the levels
> to be able to fit it on the side. This of course degrades the S/N ratio,
> but since hypercompressed masters have little dynamic range, the loss of
> S/N ratio isn't such a problem.[/url]

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand this.  On vinyl there should
still be the same linear length of the groove for the same length of
song, regardless of levels;  does keeping levels high mean that the
groove, in effect, must be wider, reducing the the total groove length
for a side?  Or am I just missing something obvious?

R.