TimT wrote:
> Those of us old enough will recall the 1812 Overture on a Telarc LP, one
> of the first digital recordings. The company claimed that most
> turntables couldn't handle the cannon shots that ended the piece. A
> salesman at Nicholson's Stereo in Nashville auditioned the record for
> me. You could clearly see the wide grooves on the LP.

My Sony home theatre receiver has a similar problem.

It's a relatively inexpensive device (and a Sony, 'nuff said) that
serves when I watch movies or (sometimes) listen to music away from the
dearly beloved.  We were watching the movie Master and Commander (I'm a
Patrick O'Brian junky, and the movie is better than I expected it to
be).  It's a movie about the British navy in the early 19th Century,
during the Napoleonic wars.  Lots of naval battles with cannons.

DR is very high on this recording.  Everytime the cannons would fire,
the receiver's auto-protect mechanism got invoked and it shut down.
Very annoying, but quite funny.  And I didn't even have it turned up
loud.

R.