heisenberg wrote:
> You paint a very bleak picture. Basically, buying an LP is the same as
> buying a lottery ticket. You may hit the jackpot, but most likely you'll
> hit a dud.

The situation isn't quite as bad as suggested. The LP pressing plants
do, in general, try to produce a quality product. Stampers are normally
replaced at some predetermined point and they check random samples to
check for quality, etc. In retrospect, my use of the term "wild card"
was probably not the best choice of phrases. With a record from a
quality plant, the difference between the first pressings and the last
isn't so much a "jackpot" versus "dud" issue but is rather more subtle.

Of course, it doesn't take much to get a good obsessive-compulsive
personality revved up!

In a way, vinyl works much better than one would expect from describing
the production process -- kind of like the internal combustion engine.
In describing the latter (holes in a block of metal plugged with other
blocks of moving metal attached to an irregularly shaped rod and powered
by explosions), it'd be hard to believe that you could end up with the
super-smooth, long-running running power source that one gets in a
luxury car!

My music collecting started back in the 1960s so, as a consumer, the LP
was pretty much it. I've since converted my entire collection to digital
and really don't miss the variability of LPs. I have no problem with
digital; I'm just sad that so many of the recordings these days buy into
the rather unmusical recording fads so popular in the industry.