satkinsn wrote:
> The SB3 is exclusively a radio tuner for me, and my big project needs to
> be moving all the shiny spinning discs I think I'll want to hear over
> the next 20 years to some sort of server - but I'm torn because of the
> abundace of options: I ran Vortexbox for a year or so and liked it, but
> thought the tagging was weak. I could run a Win 8 box with JRiver and
> dbPowerAmp, both of which I own, but Windows is fussy. Or I could use a
> Mac, but that means buying further into the Apple eco-system, maybe,
> than I want. As a Linux guy, I'm inclined to go the V'box route and
> build a player or two using a Pi or one of the other boards, but on the
> other hand, I'm not sure I want to work that hard.
If you don't like the tagging that comes with Vortexbox, but you're
comfortable with it as a music server, why not do your ripping and
initial tagging with dBpoweramp in Windows and then just serve it up
from another computer running Vortexbox? Imo, any fussiness of Windows
is completely over-ridden by the ease of ripping and getting the initial
tagging right using dBpoweramp. Then you can finetune your tags either
with mp3tag in Windows or puddletag in Linux.

Squeezeboxes will delight you more and more once you get those shiny
spinning discs on to a music server.