arnyk wrote:
> Of course turbulence creates drag - that's obvious.  However the above
> statement shows a lack of understanding about  the basics of
> thermodynamics.
>
> The above seems to ignore the fundamentals of energy extraction. I see a
> complete lack of appreciation of entropy and its role in energy
> conversion.
>

> Of course everybody wants laminar flow in their wind machines and other
> airfoils, but that ignores the global consequences of extracting energy
> from a flow of air.
>
> One might be naive and think that the only way to extract energy from a
> flow of air is to slow it down. However an improved understanding of
> thermodynamics tells us that the overall method is based on increasing
> entropy.
>
> Perhaps the obsession with laminar flow over the airfoil has led to a
> lack of realization that the air that has passed over the airfoil by any
> means becomes more turbulent downstream of the area of laminar flow.
>

> That is a very imaginative reading!
>
> Let's be clear - there is no free lunch, never well be and that is the
> gist of what the article says.
>
> However, there are no actual findings of significant climatic changes in
> that article.  At the most they are suggested, but only vaguely so.
>
> Of course the changes have to exist, but what they are needs to be
> quantified. If there is actual quantification, are please quote it  I'm
> not finding it.
>
> Merely finding a change or different is what  Golden Ear merchandisers
> do. It's called "Raising a concern". It is often actually just FUD. The
> evils of high end audio are largely based on unquantified effects that
> are actually microscopic and irrelevant to reliably perceived sound
> quality.
>

> That would appear to be innuendo and statement of truisms, not actual
> identification or quantification of actual effects.  I have no doubt
> that there are wind shadows. The relevance of the issue is highly
> dependent on what they are, not that they exist at all.
>
> Calling people Confused when the only evidence at hand is based on
> speculation and innuendo of unquantified effects suggests things like
> poor critical thinking or a desire to extract an emotional toll for the
> purposes of personal satisfaction.

Still don't understand what you mean't by 'they can extract significant
energy by just making the wind turbulent'. I think they would extract
more energy by minimising turbulence, think it's aerodynamics you need
to be studying instead of thermodynamics.

Touch optimisations http://touchsgotrythm.blogspot.co.uk/