edwardthern wrote:
> So I've been going back and forth with MPD and Squeezelite for over a
> year....probably longer, but lets just say 'actively comparing' the two
> for at least a year.
>
> Initial listening both sound great. But over time MPD seems to sound
> thick with more bass than Squeezelite. Over time I've tweaked this and
> that, changed cables, Dacs, music etc. etc. but the same over all
> impression stands. Squeezelite sound a bit thinner, not as much bass and
> not quite the separation and depth as MPD. And on the other hand MPD
> lacks air and sheen. Don't get me wrong, both are great...albeit
> different sounding. But neither offer 100% of what I'm looking for....SL
> maybe 95%, MPD maybe 92%. I could live with SL and be totally
> happy....as I am now.
>
> With all this said, I really really like the sound of Clementine Music
> Player...yeah I know everyone is like "HUH?!?!?" But truth be told to my
> ears it sounds better than both SL and MPD.
>
> Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?

your baseline would be to play a wav file using aplay. Both mpd a sl use
aplay, but have all the extra file transfer/conversion etc stuff going
on at the same time. So aplay will show you whether mpd sound or sl
sound is nearer to what is possible via alsa.

Touch optimisations http://touchsgotrythm.blogspot.co.uk/