garym wrote:
> 1. with 95,094 tracks, from scratch it takes about an hour to scan
> library (about the same as LMS for me).  At this point the music is
> playable. But after this, it does an additional scan in the background
> to create its own R128 (replaygain) values (both album and track) and
> generate wave form info.  It takes about 24 hours to complete this task
> in the background. (this 2nd scan only happens one time unless you
> manually delete the database to start over...only new additions are
> scanned for this additional info, although if you change anything about
> the file (tags, etc.) it is rescanned by Roon just in case there has
> been some change.
>
> 2. hmmm, not sure.  The database it creates on my computer (which can be
> backed up and restored) is 3.46GB  (this doesn't include my music files,
> only the roon database)
>
> 3. equally responsive as LMS on both a i7 windows machine and an i5
> linux machine.

Gary, thank you for responding to my tedious questions. I really don't
want to derail this thread by turning it into a thread about Roon
but.........

I do have a few more questions and comments.

Regarding the "secondary" background scan: 1) is the replaygain
defeatable since I don't use it nor do I intend to use it any time soon.
2) Is it during this background scan when Roon locates and builds the
database with all the album/song information and generates the various
links?

As for the database size, I would guess that the final Roon database
would end up being 3 to 4 times the size of the LMS database.

And finally, can Roon be used/controlled from other devices (computers,
tablets, smartphones, etc.) within the local network and will Roon
provide the same information and links as when accessed from the
computer that Roon is actually running on?

Again I apologize for hijacking this thread and asking all these
questions. Perhaps a little background information about my setup would
help to explain my concerns. I have a Windows 10 computer that I use as
the LMS server. This computer along with the external hard drives that
contain all my music files is used only as an LMS server. On all my
other computers and devices I use various programs (Moose, Muso, iPeng,
Orange Squeeze, etc.) to access LMS and control the Squeezebox players
in my home. So if Roon's fancy database can only be accessed from the
same computer that Roon is running on then it would be a non-starter for
me. In addition I have a much larger music library and I am concerned
about Roon's ability handle a library of this size.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos