Last week I was at a friend’s house and while I was there he played a
few vinyl records. While we were chatting, I mentioned that would love
to compare an MC cart to my current MM cart, which is a Shure M97xE. I
like the Shure but my only complaint is that it lacks a bit of
resolution in the high frequency range. Apart from that I always
wondered about the differences between MM and MC carts in general. Do
they sound really that much different / better?
My friend had an MC cart which he wasn’t using anymore and he lent it to
me for comparison. This is a Benz Ace high output cart so it would work
with my MM phono pre-amp.

Boy oh boy, what a difference! The Ace is brighter than the Shure and
the high frequencies sound very nice and clean. Okay I know the Shure
costs about 100 Euro while the Benz costs about 1000 Euro. That is about
900 Euro difference; the difference in sound between the two is not 900
Euro (I kept telling myself). But Since then I’ve listening to a lot of
my vinyl records again. I’m getting more and more comfortable with the
heavy price tag of the Benz. I don’t know if that is a good thing…
It is still a lot of money to slam on a turntable and in the end it is
just a cartridge. I’m wondering if anyone here is having or had the same
experience on the topic? If I would get an MC cart and a cheaper one
than the Ace would I still love the sound so much? One thing is for
sure, the Shure won’t cut it anymore…
Love to hear your experiences.

'Cambridge Audio 851D-S'
(https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/851/851d) -> 'Focal MP1200'
(http://www.mp1200.co.nf/) -> 'Focal Electra 1028 Be'
(http://www.focal.com/en/electra-1000-be-2/209-electra-1028-be-3544053695099.html)
1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
http://www.last.fm/user/phibon