sf...@users.sourceforge.net:
> This will print many debug information including how aufs selected the
> branch. I may send you another debug patch to print more information and
> ask you to apply/rebuild if you can.

I tried but could not reproduce the problem.

Branches:
/run/shm/11044.1=rw
/run/shm/11044.2=rw
/run/shm/rw=rw
/run/shm/ro=ro

Filesystem     1K-blocks  Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs             202524    16    202508   1% /run/shm/rw
tmpfs              40508     0     40508   0% /run/shm

Option: create=pmfsrr:$((50*1024*1024))

- /run/shm/rw/$dir does not exist.
- the dir exists both under /run/shm/11044.[12].
In other words,
- there are three writable branches.
- two of them have a parent dir, but they are smaller in free space.

Test:   cp /etc/hosts $dir/

I confirmed the file went to /run/shm/rw/$dir expectedly.

Next time when you post, give me these info.

(from aufs README)
When you have any problems or strange behaviour in aufs, please let me
know with:
- /proc/mounts (instead of the output of mount(8))
- /sys/module/aufs/*
- /sys/fs/aufs/* (if you have them)
- /debug/aufs/* (if you have them)
- linux kernel version
  if your kernel is not plain, for example modified by distributor,
  the url where i can download its source is necessary too.
- aufs version which was printed at loading the module or booting the
  system, instead of the date you downloaded.
- configuration (define/undefine CONFIG_AUFS_xxx)

J. R. Okajima