On 02/14/2018 10:19 AM, Alad Wenter via aur-general wrote:
> It's disappointing how everyone shifts the blame towards and
> ridicules upstream, rather than respect their wishes regarding the
> _packaging of their own code_. Those are practices that remind of
> certain other distributions. But whatever - I shall not further argue
> about it.
>
> John: Please include a post_install/post_upgrade message in your
> package that warns users on _not_ to complain to upstream in case of
> errors.

I'm not really sure this is comparable. I fully support the use of
post_install/post_upgrade in this situation.

On top of the fact that as opposed to e.g. xscreensaver :D we are not
advertising this as the default version for users to install (it is
explicitly a VCS development package). All I'm saying is I don't feel
comfortable telling users they are not allowed to use it *at all*,
because upstream asked us to forbid its packaging *period*.

Anything we can do to ensure that users are alerted to the precise
relationship this code has to upstream and the support thereof, can only
be a good thing. This is rather different from censoring its existence.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User