On Sun, 2026-09-27 at 18:24 +0700, Andreas Reichel wrote: > 1) for any reason there are version numbers (and everybody wants to > understand them as "stable" or "secure") > 2) while the developer pretty much runs it as rolling release where > every commit is the latest greatest version per definition (<-- that's > usually me 😄 ) > > I have solved it by deriving a minor or minor-minor version direct > from the GIT build number per `git describe` and so creating pseudo > "stable" releases (instead of just calling it a "-SNAPSHOT"). > So JSQLParser 5.3 (stable) became JSQLParser 5.3.719 (which in fact > was the 719 commit after the 5.3 release). > > And I am doing the same now for AURSCAN, since "-git" was also not > compatible with some package guidelines. > > Maybe this can help you to find a workaround because I actually do > understand morsmortium's point.
Hi Andreas, I understand the reasoning from a developer's perspective, but as someone who doesn't want to build from git and run "make install", but rather wants to use git packages to install with pacman, the AUR guidelines make more sense for users like me. These guidelines were certainly not chosen with any malicious intent. Regards, Ralf
