Matt.

You’ve basically answered your own question.

Re-read my response to Jim.

Noel.

From: Aus-soaring [mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.base64.com.au] On Behalf Of
Matthew Scutter
Sent: Sunday, February 5, 2017 7:37 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] MEMBERSHIP AND A WORLD REVIEW

I found it thoroughly entertaining being required to do a site check, in order
to fly my own glider, despite having just flown myself into that site in a
powered aircraft.

I was for a while a member of Ziggy and Marta's 'Just Soaring' club while I was
doing the competition circuit without a real base. They kindly waived the 5$/yr
membership dues in exchange for putting my flights on the OLC in their club
name. I never actually went to their site. Unfortunately no longer operating(?)

I was also confused as to who exactly Noel was referring to as not being
qualified to fly in exactly what airspace. Do we actually have more privileges
currently than RAAUS & RPL's? We can (occasionally) get clearances into
controlled airspace, which I believe RAAUS & RPL's can't do without special
additional endorsement? Not that they've ever given me my requests, but perhaps
asking for FL180 through a 4500ft CTA step was a bridge too far....

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Mark Newton <new...@atdot.dotat.org> wrote:

On 5 Feb 2017, at 3:35 PM, Richard Frawley <rjfraw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is well know that the biggest resistance by far to the current GPC change
> (which was a good step forward) was by instructors and especially CFI’S and
> RTO’s
>
> I would be more than happy to help champion the issuance of GPC as equivalent
> to Level 2 Independent ops, but I can tell you now it will the CFI’s and
> Panels that will resist the most

Needs to be equivalent to CASA RPL (plus or minus a short transition training
course).

GPC should be the bridge between disciplines. In the same way that a qualified
RAAus pilot can fill out a form and do a checkride to get an RPL, a qualified
GFA pilot should be able to do likewise.

(If the GPC and RPL are equivalent, and a keen pilot can’t organize a crew, at
they can go to their local GA or RAAus school and rent a Eurofox or something
instead)

> Given however the small number of self launchers, this requirements is still
> moot.
> As long as you still need others (tugs, wing runners, ropes) there is no true
> independence and their in lies the root cause.

The issue isn’t whether a pilot can be independent from anyone at all; it’s
whether they can be independent of a club.

There are regularly aircraft listed in the classifieds section of Gliding
Australia for less than $30k. Three mates should be able to tip in $10,000
each, and own an aircraft cheaper than a jet-ski. Having bought it, there
should be no reason why they need to get involved in any gliding clubs anymore,
if they don’t want to.

In the same way that getting a launch at a comp is a simple commercial
transaction, there should be no reason why syndicate pilots can’t front-up at
any random gliding operation and say, “Here’s ten bucks, can you squeeze me
into your winch launch queue?” without also submitting to club bylaws and the
judgement of an instructor.

You don’t need to be a club member to operate a GA or RAAus aircraft out of
Gawler. Why should you need to be a club member to operate a glider off the
same runway?

(Some clubs insist on “site checks” before someone can soar there — Why? GA
pilots don’t need site checks, why should glider pilots? Shouldn’t unique
aspects of a site be documented in its ERSA entry, and shouldn’t a pilot's
training and airmanship be adequate for them to judge their own operational
risks? If a site’s complexities are treated as some kind of secret data that
can only be disclosed during a site check, the system is failing)

  - mark