Not sure if this has been posted before....

News came through from Sweden a couple of days back via Ake Pettersson and Peter Goodale, that two times World Champion Goran Ax was fatally injured in a traffic acident.  Goran was a competitor in the World Comps at Waikerie in 1974 flying a Nimbus 2 - the supership of that era.

Here is the text of Ake's email:

It is with great sorrow that we are told, our legend Göran Ax, our most prominent gliding pilot, on Saturday February 24, deceased in a traffic accident outside Landskrona, South Sweden.

Goran was aged 74 and was reportedly still active in the sport: http://www.segelflyget.se/Nyheter/goranaxhargatturtiden/

He has been honoured with a page in Wikipedia in Swedish (Google Translate could be your friend)

Another sad loss to the sport ....

Regards,
Terry Neumann

---