-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike
Borgelt
Sent: Saturday, 11 November 2006 9:00 AM
To: Jim Kelly; Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] GPS units - opinions please...

At 07:12 AM 11/11/2006, you wrote:
>Mike,
>
>Are the newer Sirf-III GPS units any better for gliding in these
>regards??
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim Kelly

Jim,

The 12 channel Garmin is actually pretty good. There are better units
than the Sirf III chip which in the implementation I've seen is
optimised for cars. We use the u-blox Antaris (same as in FLARMs) and
you can optimise it for your particular use. Even get 4 Hz fixes

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments phone
Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
           Int'l + 61 429 355784