Hi Gary and Chris and all,

Also happened to a Hornet, same thing, 4 independent inspections. Blaniks were
also good in that it was easy to reverse the rudder when re cabling.

Good point, what are you looking for? I have seen/heard too many instances
where things are observed by pure chance.

A story, We used Super Cubs for a long time at Bacchus Marsh. One day I noticed
one of them taxiing to the line was more nose high on the ground than normal.
Not a lot but enough. I mentioned to the clubs duty pilot that the Cub was
broken, more than likely one of the bolts holding the tail wheel assembly had
sheared off. Being from one of the other clubs he told me everything was OK in
his eyes. I suggested that he might want to go and have a look, if nothing to
prove me wrong. Anyway he did go and have a look and surprise, I was right. He
came back and asked me how I knew that something was wrong.

Some years before I had noticed the same thing but didn't say anything. On the
next flight the glider pilots were surprised to see the tail wheel assembly
detach itself and fall away, never to be found. An expensive mistake.

Our best instrument is eyeball mark one. When rigging and or inspecting it is
important to train yourself to OBSERVE what you are looking at. Slow down,
don't feel pressured, like me, remove the glider from the onlookers if needed
and start again. If you don't know the type ask the owner to walk around with
you while asking questions. Too many haven't in the past, and that's the sad
part.

Patch