Tim,

I agree with banning teams for Australian comps, but with a small exception:

With the way that out selection works for the Worlds, the "team" is known 18
months before the event. It would be extremely useful for them to practice as a
team in real comps.

However, it would need to be fair to all - possibly with something like the
following:
the only "teams" permitted would be those already selected for the worlds and
must be declared before the 1st entry close date
to enable the practice to be real, they need to be given the same start points
they can't be eligible to win the comp
their scores are devalued for ranking purposes for the next worlds - I don't
know by how much - 5%, 10%, more ????

Not that I can see our comp pilots ever agreeing to this anyway.

Off topic, but related to what Tim said,

When I was a newcomer to comp flying, the biggest single barrier I had was only
flying AAT tasks in club class (where inexperienced pilots are likely to fly).
I never flew close to a good pilot and their logger traces bore no resemblance
to mine - I had no idea why they flew where they did, and then had no ability
to judge decisions made. Even thermal strengths used were not very meaningful -
improvement was by luck more than anything. Fortunately the comp rules have
been changed to permit speed tasks for club class - I hope they are used !

Fixed tasks take a number of the decisions away, but still leave the important
ones - when to start, which energy lines to follow (in a narrow corridor),
which thermals to use and for how long - an inexperienced pilot will probably
start early and will have better pilots overtake, giving a chance of observing
what they do for a reasonable difference. I learnt more from the 1st fixed task
I flew than from 3 club class nationals and 2 state comps combined !!!

Matt