At 09:25 PM 22/03/2012, you wrote:

On 22/03/2012, at 19:19, Robert Hart <<mailto:ha...@interweft.com.au>ha...@interweft.com.au> wrote:

I have experienced far too many radio problems in club gliders (and tugs) to give up the "whole glider as semaphore" method as a necessary fall back. If we are about safety - and we are - we need to make sure that we cover known problems (and radio in gliders/tugs is a known problem).

That's something I can't work out.

Radios aren't rocket science. With modern digital radio systems, and high capacity batteries, there's no valid engineering reason why they can't work fantastically all the time.

Yet you're right: so many gliders have stupendously shitty radio systems, and it's just accepted as normal.

Why is that?

- mark

Yes Mark,

That was rather the point. Robert missed it completely.

Sanctimonious blather about safety doesn't cut it when you are prepared to tolerate safety aids that don't work properly (or inexperienced, well meaning, bumbling amateurs with little to no formal training actively encouraged by the system to pretend to be acting as "flight instructors").

As you said, it isn't rocket science.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - design & manufacture of quality soaring instrumentation since 1978
www.borgeltinstruments.com
tel:   07 4635 5784     overseas: int+61-7-4635 5784
mob: 042835 5784                :  int+61-42835 5784
P O Box 4607, Toowoomba East, QLD 4350, Australia