From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Simon
Hackett
Sent: Thursday, 7 March 2013 08:35
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Electric replacement for quad bikes around
airfields

Towing on grass adds its own challenges to such a question - and certainly
an electric vehicle may be heavier than an ICE based one. That said, under
many circumstances more weight on a towing vehicle is better - else it might
just sit there and spin its wheels.

For towing on hard surfaces, there are already a variety of electric-powered
towing devices on the market.

This is one that we use to move my PC-12 at Adelaide airport, they're
brilliant - because you can walk along the wingtip while operating it and
ensure clearance. It can also lift and rotate the nosewheel arbitrarily (in
terms of direction) using a built in turntable:

http://www.tracetowbots.com

Not quite what you wanted for your application, but an indication that
electric aircraft moving devices are starting to come into their own of
late.

Regards,
 Simon

On 05/03/2013, at 2:49 PM, Ian Mc Phee <mrsoar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All & Simon
>
> I hear Simon H is an electric powered vehicle expert (Solar Challenge
Darwin to Adelaide) and wondering if you can offer thoughts on suitable
electric vehicle which could be used around airfield and towing gliders. I
am sure within a few years it will be the standard vehicle for airport use.

> Recently at Bathurst I noticed an electric skate board for personal
transport to the launch point - now just need a larger glider towing
version!!!

> Off topic I have heard overseas insurance companies may consider you are
not covered for damage to a glider when towing behind a vehicle.  May be a
good reason for driving very slowly when towing glider as just maybe you may
not be covered (esp if using other than factory gear).  18 months ago I
heard about a Libelle Written Off!! being towed behind vehicle and many many
gliders with about $5000 damage from towing behind a vehicle  .