The best handicap system I have heard of for gliding (admittedly theroretical)
worked like this.

1.       At the start of the competition each pilot nominates the value of his
or her glider.  These valuations are made public.

2.       The handicaps are then based on the pilots valuation according to some
fairly simple formula  – the lower value, the more favourable the handicap of
course.

3.       The he pilot signs a guarantee that they will sell the glider to
anyone who comes up with the valuation figure, at the end of the competition.

That should sort out the problem quite nicely I think.  Anyone interested in a
cheap JS1 that just won the Nationals? J

And, for those who have posted on this topic without ever having organised,
scored or handicapped a gliding competition, or in fact have done anything here
except bitch about those that do, there are a few words just under my signature
below.  Google translator will soon tell you why they are relevant to you.

Do it yourselves next time.

Cheers

Tim

Tra dire e fare c’è mezzo il mare