Haha I had something like that happen to me about a year ago.

My NBN just abruptly stopped in the middle of the day with no warning.
Called up the ISP after ~30 minutes and they were scratching their head because they could see a good solid connection. Only catch was it wasn't my MAC address!

They got a NBN appointment made for 2 days later....which got cancelled because the NBNco geniuses saw a valid connection.

Turned out someone else just got FTTN and whoever hooked it up decided I wasn't using my port so disconnected me and put the new customer on it.

I shudder to think how often this kind of thing must be occurring!