Date:        Fri, 2 Sep 2016 07:36:01 +0100
    From:        Gian Ntzik <gian.ntzi...@imperial.ac.uk>

  | What is the rationale behind not having the same requirement for
  | functions working with directories, such as mkdir(), rmdir() and
  | rename()?

My guess...

In original unix (and perhaps even today in some systems) none of those
existed as file system operations - mkdir was mknod() and several link()
calls, rmdir was several unlink() calls, and rename() was link()unlink().

Since the standard describes what users can expect to experience, that's
what needs to document.

If we ever reach a time when there are no (relevant) systems left without
mkdir() rmdir() and rename() as atomic sys calls, the std can be revised.