A NOTE has been added to this issue.
http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1134
Reported By:                nmav
Assigned To:
Project:                    1003.1(2016)/Issue7+TC2
Issue ID:                   1134
Category:                   System Interfaces
Type:                       Enhancement Request
Severity:                   Editorial
Date Submitted:             2017-03-31 07:06 UTC
Last Modified:              2017-04-06 20:00 UTC
Relationships       ID      Summary
related to          0000859 Add posix_random family of interfaces

 (0003662) shware_systems (reporter) - 2017-04-06 20:00
 http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1134#c3662
IIRC, Bug 859 was tentatively approved partly because PRNGs can be
implemented entirely in software. Perceived randomness was therefore a
function of algorithm quality and usage. An interface like this more
assumes motherboards or CPUs all have peripherals that are designed to
generate these uniformly random sequences independently, to guarantee they
are 'cryptographically secure' in the black box sense, and few commercial
systems, if any, that I'm aware of actually provide this type of hardware.
Many have hardware that can provide values random enough looking, possibly,
to be a PRNG seed value, but not securely so or dedicated to this purpose.
This lack of hardware is why, I believe, many PKCS key generators rely on
the effective randomness of an operator moving a mouse around as their seed
source.

That said, I agree adding something along these lines is desirable for
uniformity of usage, but I don't see it as a candidate for the Base. It
should be marked part of the CRYPT Option Group, and the ENOSYS error
should use wording consistent with the other members of that group. No
POSIX system is required to use a system call paradigm, after all; hardware
accesses can be coded directly into the C library.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change
Mavrogiannopoulos