POSIX FILE streams opened for update need either a fflush() or a file
positioning function
when switching from writing to reading, and a file positioning function when
switching from reading to writing.

The Newlib C library as used in Cygwin fails with perror() reporting "Illegal
seek" when
fseek(f, 0, SEEK_CUR) is applied to a serial device (/dev/ttySx).

The fseek(f, 0, SEEK_CUR) is my attempt at a null file positioning function
between
reading and writing to the device.

Is this a bug in Newlib?
If not, is there a POSIX-sanctioned file positioning function that works
without fail
on serial devices?
If not, does that mean that POSIX requires separate streams for input and output
to a serial device?
- or -
Can the error be safely ignored?  (I think this is the right answer).