Shware Systems <shwares...@aol.com> wrote, on 17 Apr 2019:

> On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Geoff Clare <g...@opengroup.org> wrote:
>
>> ... does anyone know of an implementation
>> that has pthreads and C11/C17 threads, with pthread_t and thrd_t defined
>> as different types?
>
> My implementation defines both as pointers, not int's, as 'typedef
> thrd_t pthread_t;'. Since threads.h is 99% a subset of pthreads.h,
> I see no reason to have them be different types, even as a breaking
> change. What is missing is in pthreads.h, to account for the new
> attributes C11 introduced, at least to mention them if support
> isn't going to be added.

What new attributes?  As far as I can see the only attribute a
thread has in C17 (although it doesn't use that word) is whether it
has been detached.

> The major hassle I see is POSIX wants the
> the threading stuff in libpthread, and C11 wants it in libc if the
> threading option is enabled. IMO C11 should have let interfaces in
> optional headers all be in header-specific libraries or libc, as an
> implentation-defined choice, but they didn't.

Last I knew the C standard says nothing at all about how programs
are built.

--
Geoff Clare <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading, RG1 1AX, England