Date:        Thu, 24 Oct 2019 09:25:52 +0100
    From:        Harald van Dijk <a...@gigawatt.nl>

  | That is what almost all shells do, but not what POSIX specifies.

Not explicitly perhaps, but it is almost the only way to achieve the
effects that are required.   This is one of the perils of attempting
to be as general as possible in what is specified, rather than simply
saying exactly what should be done.

  | Any form of quoting stops tilde expansion before a quoted / is even
  | seen.

By definition, yes, unless the / is all that is quoted, as in the
cases I indicated.

  | Making that work does not require preceding / with CTLESC: it
  | would be embedded in CTLQUOTEMARK characters anyway, and CTLQUOTEMARK is
  | enough to stop tilde expansion.

Yes, it would be, if it appeared.   It might when ~ expansion happens
in the ~'/' case, but not in the ~\/ case.   In any case this is all
just boring implementation detail, not really appropriate for this list,
we can discuss it more off list if you really want.