On 28/03/2020 06:40, Robert Elz wrote:
What's more, that the list of intrinsic builtins has kill and pwd in it
is simply absurd - if you were looking for builtins that people might want
to override, then things like printf (which the text gives as an example as
one that should be able to be overridden) almost certainly isn't what would
be wanted,

Not to disagree with the main point of your message, but printf is something of a portability problem too. The use of hexadecimal escape sequences is not specified by the standard, not implemented in all shells and I have no intention of implementing it myself, but it has been used often enough in scripts that sometimes I did feel like taking the easy route and making the scripts use /usr/bin/printf (which on my system is the GNU coreutils version) rather than fixing up the uses to use octal escape sequences.

Cheers,
Harald van Dijk

  • [1003.1(2013... Austin Group Bug Tracker
    • Re: [10... Robert Elz
      • Re:... Harald van Dijk
      • Re:... Robert Elz
        • ... Harald van Dijk
    • [1003.1... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • [1003.1... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group