On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 11:15 AM Schwarz, Konrad via austin-group-l at The
Open Group <austin-group-l@opengroup.org> wrote:

> after some (moderate) digging, it seems like the interfaces documented in
> net/if.h are not related to anything else defined in POSIX.
>

> To recap, the routines declared there provide a mapping between network
> interface names and numeric indexes.  However, I couldn’t find any other
> interface within POSIX that actually uses either network interface names or
> numeric interfaces.  This makes it kind of useless.

The numeric indexes are used by several of the IPv6 socket options, such
as IPV6_JOIN_GROUP and IPV6_MULTICAST_IF, as described in XSH 2.10.20.4.

Philip Guenther
  • net/if.h not connecte... Schwarz, Konrad via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: net/if.h not... Philip Guenther via austin-group-l at The Open Group