Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group dixit:

>since the standard requires the POSIX locale to have 256 valid
>single-byte characters.

WTF, how is *that* supposed to be implemented?

I guess I could use ASCII as the first half and map the other
128 to U+EF80‥U+EFFF though (which I have reserved in CSUR for
this purpose but in a different scope)… not that _that_ would
be of much use…

>If you change your program to use the codeset name returned by
>nl_langinfo(CODESET) instead of hard-coded "ascii" then you would
>have a stronger case that iconv() should not give an EILSEQ error,

I guess you found a bug in glibc then.

With LC_ALL=POSIX, after setlocale(LC_ALL, ""), nl_langinfo(CODESET)
returns "ANSI_X3.4-1968", which EILSEQs in the iconv call.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
>> Why don't you use JavaScript? I also don't like enabling JavaScript in
> Because I use lynx as browser.
+1
        -- Octavio Alvarez, me and ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ (Mario Lang) on debian-devel

  • Re: clarification ne... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: clarificati... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • mail encodi... Thorsten Glaser via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: mai... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: clarifi... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: cla... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • iconv()... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Thorsten Glaser via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: cla... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • Re: clarification ne... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group