On 9/1/21 2:23 PM, Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group wrote:
>     Date:        Wed, 1 Sep 2021 19:04:12 +0100
>     From:        Harald van Dijk <a...@gigawatt.nl>
>
>   | Is there any statement that overrides the general definition to
>   | explicitly make this unspecified? If not, the general definition applies
>   | and $? must expand to 0 both times it appears on line 2.
>
> Perhaps as currently written that's correct, but if so, the standard
> probably needs to be updated, as it is fairly clear that shells which
> set $? as each command substitution finishes have always existed (in
> fact, that might have been what the original Bourne shell did, I haven't
> checked) and the standard should allow for that.

Given the following:

(exit 42)
a=$? b=`false` b=$?

echo $? $a $b

Bash prints 1 42 1.

The original (v7) bourne shell and the rest of the research line through v9
prints 1 1 (b is set to the empty string). That implies that it executes
the assignment statements in reverse order, in addition to carrying $?
through the sequence of assignments.

The SVR4.2 shell prints 1 42 1. I imagine the rest of the SVR4 line sh is
the same.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    c...@case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/

  • $? in a simple comman... Oğuz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: $? in a simp... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: $? in a ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: $? i... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: $? in a simp... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: $? in a ... Oğuz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: $? in a ... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: $? in a ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: $? i... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re: ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Scott Lurndal via austin-group-l at The Open Group