Date:        Mon, 28 Feb 2022 10:28:20 +0000
    From:        Jonathan Wakely <jwak...@redhat.com>

  | Nothing in any GNU licence prevents reading code.

Not explicitly, no.  But if I read some code, and then write
something similar, how would I ever prove I had not copied?
If I did, even subconsciiusky, and distributed my code, it
would be required to be GNU licensed wouldn't it?  That is
something I will never do.  I give away code I write unrestricted
(free).  Not encunbered ir restricted.

Hence, and especially here as the starting point was that I
might add code to the BSD realpath utility to make it more
like the coreutils version, and hence make it easier to
standardise, I simply cannot look at the GNU code or I would
not be able to distribute a modified BSD version under the
BSD licence.

It is the stupid GPL which leads to this, if it was a free use
licence we could just distribute each other's code, or binaries,
rather than all this duplication, and we'd all be much better off.

kre

              • ... Thorsten Glaser via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Jonathan Wakely via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Jonathan Wakely via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Jonathan Wakely via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... G. Branden Robinson via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [1003.1(2016... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: [10... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Thorsten Glaser via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [1003.1(2016... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [1003.1(2016... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: [10... Quentin Rameau via austin-group-l at The Open Group