psm...@gnu.org wrote in
 <81a04e6224bf59f387aa8bb0a68bf89152b1cd29.ca...@gnu.org>:
 |On Tue, 2022-09-13 at 14:53 +0100, Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at
 |The Open Group wrote:
 |> If I'm honest those cases never occurred to me when we were working
 |> on the wording.  It seems unlikely a makefile author would
 |> intentionally use .WAIT in those ways, but obviously they could arise
 |> through expansion of an empty macro.
 |>
 |> I think we should tweak the text at the next opportunity to add
 |> "(if any)" in the appropriate places.  I'll make a note to submit
 |> a bug against draft 3 to request that change.
 |
 |Thanks.
 |
 |For everyone's info, I implemented .WAIT in GNU make (pushed to Git
 |yesterday) and it will be available in the next release.
 |
 |I did review Steffen's patch but decided against that approach; but the
 |effort is much appreciated Steffen!

Sure.  It was only a short run from someone without insight into
the gmake code base, and if the real implementation can
parallelize even with .WAIT, instead of hard-synchronizing upon
.WAIT, then that approach is much superior.

Good to hear .WAIT is in GNU make!
(Poor Alexey Neyman, who waited 17 years to see his approach in.)

--steffen

|(By Robert Gernhardt)

    • Re: [10... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [1003.1(2016... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [1003.1(2016... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [1003.1(2016... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [1003.1(2016... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [1003.1(2016... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [1003.1(2016... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • Re: [1003.1(... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: [10... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [1003.1(2016... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group