Date:        Fri, 7 Apr 2023 05:38:16 +0300
    From:        =?UTF-8?B?T8SfdXo=?= <oguzismailuy...@gmail.com>

  |     a=${b#prefix} a=${a%suffix}
  |
  | is common enough a pattern to consider despite having no benefit other than
  | looking organized. Most shells interpret it the way average user would
  | expect too

Most might, but it is still unspecified (and is not something I think I
have ever encountered).   It is trivial to fix by putting a ';' or newline
between the two assignments, then it works everywhere.  Why wouldn't you?

And what's more, tell the authors of anyone else making this mistake that
it is unspecified, and how simple it is to fix.

kre

ps: replying only to the list, as gmail simply bounces any messages I
send to its users directly.

      • Re: $? beha... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: $? ... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: $? beha... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: $? ... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: $? behaviou... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: $? beha... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: $? beha... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: $? ... Oğuz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: $? ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • Re: $? behaviour aft... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group