--- Eli Zaretskii <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 May 2000, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
> > Cygwin comes with uname which reports:
> > CYGWIN_NT-4.0 DU147636 1.1.0(0.17/3/2) 2000-03-01 00:15:19 i686 unknown
> >
> > For MinGW I have a uname hack which reports:
> > MINGW_WinNT DU147636 3 0 i686 unknown
>
> Sounds a bit dangerous to me: what if someone uses Mingw, but uname is
> from Cygwin?  I understand that many Mingw developers use Cygwin
> toolchain (except the compiler and Binutils).
>
> How about running "gcc -v --version" and looking at the output?

There is full email support for MinGW users, see my .sig.  Also, most MinGW
users are using it for Win32 native developement and aren't really doing
./configure.  Some are, and those that are know how to make it work.  Also, the
http://www.mingw.org page has a nice FAQ which can be modified as needed.

The current version of config.guess/sub without modification return
i686-pc-mingw32 for my configuration and returns i686-pc-cygwin for my Cygwin
configuration.

BTW, gcc --version only return 2.95.2 and gcc -v does contain the characters
mingw when returning the name of the specs file; but I don't like this.

Regards,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>