--- Eli Zaretskii <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Sounds a bit dangerous to me: what if someone uses Mingw, but uname is
> > > from Cygwin?  I understand that many Mingw developers use Cygwin
> > > toolchain (except the compiler and Binutils).
> >
> > There is full email support for MinGW users, see my .sig.  Also, most MinGW
> > users are using it for Win32 native developement and aren't really doing
> > ./configure.  Some are, and those that are know how to make it work.  Also,
> the
> > http://www.mingw.org page has a nice FAQ which can be modified as needed.
>
> Sorry, I don't follow: how does this help to detect whether Autoconf is
> being built for Cygwin or for Mingw?

Oh, I'm just saying that for people having this type of problems there is a way
to find the answer.

> Or are you saying that this distinction is not necessary?

For those using the Cygwin compiler toolset for MinGW, yes the distinction
between Cygwin and MinGW isn't necessary, the environment is Cygwin even if the
compiler set is the MinGW set.

There a those, me included, using Amol's port of zsh to WinNT with a native
build of fileutils, textutils and the like, this is where the MinGW distinction
is going to matter.

IMO, treat detecting Cygwin and MinGW as you would for "normal" unix.  The
result will need to set special variables such as ac_exeext.

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__