On 03/15/2013 11:13 AM, Thomas Jahns wrote:
On 03/15/2013 02:19 AM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
I've been doing research into the cross-platform availability of
header files that are commonly probed for in Autoconf scripts.
Results so far are here:
http://www.owlfolio.org/possibly-useful/notes-on-the-cross-platform-availability-of-header-files/
  Based on what I've learned, I have some questions for y'all:

although you didn't ask: aio.h does not need to be probed for: unistd.h defines
_POSIX_ASYNCHRONOUS_IO when it's available.

See <http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904875/basedefs/unistd.h.html> for
some other features that don't require autoconf to check for, sys/mman.h is in
the same category.

This is the description of an ideal world - Reality is a bit different.

aio.h and sys/mman.h are not available everywhere, nor are the _POSIX_* defines always correct, nor are the features these are supposed to provide available everywhere.

Ralf