On Thu, 14 Jun 2018, Anmol Mishra wrote:

I was thinking if I can check for both which version of Python is currently
available like 2 or 3, installation proceed with that.
PYTHON= python2.6, does this mean that it will be installed with Python 3
as well?

Python may be installed several times on the same system. Sometimes it may appear to be installed several more times due to execution environments like 'virtualenv' (a package which helps avoid altering the formal Python installation tree).

Usually building for a particular Python also involves installing files into the Python installation tree, polluting files which were installed using an OS package installer, and possibly even overwriting files. Installing unmanaged files into a directory with managed files is not a decision to be taken lightly.

The person doing the build should have complete control over which Python is being used and know in advance what will be done.

Installing for 'python2.6' should only install for 'python2.6' and not some other version.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn