Hi Billa,

It sounds like you are trying to build from a source repo instead of a release tarball.

Building with automake or autoconf is a multi-step process. Run automake on a ".am" file to generate a makefile. Run make on the makefile to build the executable.

Automake has a special "make dist" rule. The dist rule uses automake on a host computer to produce a tarball. This dist tarball requires make and a compiler, but it does not require automake.

-- Daniel