As Element Green wrote:

> Thank you for your reply.  I downgraded the firmware to 7.21 (from AVR
> Studio 5).

I just upgraded another Dragon to 7.38 (decimal), and it works without
troubles using AVaRICE (SVN version) on my ATxmega16D4 board.

> I attempted to use the Dragon to connect to 2 different XMEGA devices, one
> is a custom PCB I made with an xmega16d4, the other is a development board
> with an xmega128d4 using AVR Studio 7 in programming mode.  It could read
> the reference voltage but not the device ID.

That somehow smells like connection issues on the PDI level.

The target voltage is sensed on the Dragon itself, without the need
for a working PDI link.  This error code 0xAE is likely an indication
for PDI link issues - but still, you might ask Atmel explicitly about
that.  While the JTAGICEmkII protocol is officially documented in an
appnote, the Xmega protocol isn't.

How long's your cable?  The levelshifters/drivers on the Dragon are
known to be fairly weak.  In general, the cables that come with an STK500
work well, they are about 15 cm long.  Anything longer might cause
troubles.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/