As Olaf Dreyer wrote:

> But the resulting binary tells me, that it was build without usb support.
> Do I have to make some settings during the configure step?

You need to have a libusb around, including the required headers to
compile against it.  On most Linux distributions, this means you'd have
to have the respective "-dev" or "-devel" package installed.

AVRDUDE's configure script auto-detects the environment, and prints a
summary like this:

Configuration summary:
----------------------
DO HAVE    libelf
DO HAVE    libusb
DO HAVE    libusb_1_0
DO HAVE    libftdi1
DON'T HAVE libftdi
DON'T HAVE libhid
DO HAVE    libhidapi
DO HAVE    pthread
DISABLED   doc
ENABLED    parport
DISABLED   linuxgpio

Make sure libusb has a "DO HAVE" there.

Note that libhid there is Windows-only, and only relates to USBasp.
In order to get support for the recent Atmel tools that are als HIDs,
libhidapi support is needed.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/