On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 10:53:50AM -0500, Geoffrey Hutchison wrote:
> The deadline for applying to be a mentoring organization for Google
> Summer of Code is fast approaching.

:-/

> I'm not sure precisely where to hang our hat (e.g., Avogadro alone,
> general open-source chemistry like Blue Obelisk, or through another
> group like the University of Pittsburgh) but I'd really like to see
> Avogadro apply and get a student or three funded again.

Personally, I'd like to see more interoperability between the
open-source chemistry apps, including avogadro, openbabel and cclib
growing support for open source quantum chemistry packages like PSI4,
NWchem, CP2K, Quantum ESPRESSO (Avogadro might support a few already),
and I'd probably be willing to mentor.  However, I did think that Blue
Obelisk might be the better umbrella organization for that.  In general,
if there is enough good proposals etc. I'd say Blue Obelisk might have
a better shot at being accepted as Avogadro alone.  On the other hand,
if nobody else is pushing this...

Michael