Albert,

I think CML will continue to be very much a first class citizen too.
JSON feels much easier to change/augment, and Python support for JSON
is very good - it would be great to add it, but I don't think it is
critical. We could add some simple Python glue too, the format is
super-simple. With Open Babel we ended up using CML, MDL and XYZ to
get data into Avogadro 2.

Marcus