On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 6:50 PM, Michael Banck <mba...@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 01:20:01PM -0400, Geoffrey Hutchison wrote:
>> > Debian stable (jessie) ahs GCC 4.8 and 4.9, but it got released very
>> > recently and many are still on oldstable (wheezy) with GCC 4.7.
>>
>> I guess your impression agrees with Marcus - that "probably everything
>> we would use soon" is fine and we can target anything supported by GCC
>> 4.7.x.
>
> As far as important Debian/Ubuntu releases are concerned, yes, (if 4.7
> really implements all the features), RHEL/CentOS/SL 6 might be an
> important target as well (or not, dunno), and AFAIK it only ships GCC
> 4.4 (but might have some C++ features backpatched).

Closing the loop on this, I feel pretty comfortable in bumping this. I
think tagging before making a hard dependency on C++11 features would
be good in case people wanted that, but see no reason not to start
using modern C++ functionality.

Compiler support seems reasonable, building new compilers on older
machines is also possible, I know Ubuntu 12.04 still has a few years
of support left and that may present some issues but there is already
a new LTS people can move to (I think they get five years).

Marcus